Sunday, April 28, 2013

Blog Post #14

Teacher Knows if You Have Done the E-Reading

Colleges are now experimenting with a system that tracks when students read their books and how long. The Professor can look and see who has read and when. Supposedly, it will help them determine who will fail and who will pass. This allows the professor to digitally track the students success. It allows them to intervene if the student is slacking behind.

It is really ridiculous these are college students. If they don't want to read and they fail...it's their time and money. This is not high school it is college. As a teacher, it would just be one more thing to do and why? How is this going to benefit the students. If they are not going to read it you can't force them. We have technology that is better than digital babysitters. Let them watch video clips or do something besides read a book and take notes.

I would be very upset to take a class that stalks me. I really don't see the benefit for the teacher or student. This is just a money racket for Pearson publishers. As a student, I would probably find away around the reading. I would open the book and do something else. It is ridiculous to think someone is watching my every move. If I want to succeed I will do what it takes, but if I don't want to a digital babysitter is not going to make me.

If I was to talk to the teacher of this class I would ask:

  • If my grades are good what does it matter if I read or not?
  • How does this benefit you to know how often I read?
  • Why can't you give us something we want to do instead of something to force us to do.
  • What are you going to do with all this data?
  • Is it going to benefit anyone?
What do you as a student think of digital E-reading?
  • Has this inspired you to read more?
  • Does it make you frustrated to know your being watched?
  • Has this made you actually read?
  • Do you agree with this idea?
  • What do you think would make you read?
  • Would you take this class again?
My comments to leave for this post would be I don't agree. This is appalling to think we are going to force students to read. No one wants a personal babysitter. Why waste money on such a ridiculous thing. There are some students who never crack the book and pass the exam with flying colors. They might have prior knowledge of the subject so why force them to read something they could explain better than the book. Maybe, the teacher needs to teach and not use an electronic babysitter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment