Sunday, April 14, 2013

Blog Post #12

Social Media in Education - Teaching Digital Natives in 2011




Write a quality blog post summarizing the post and describing the type of teacher you would be if given the opportunity.

This video gives some shocking facts on education in America. In 2011, SAT test scores were down. Online learners were doing better than students in classrooms. I can agree with these facts. My kids took some classes through Abeka. It is a christian based education. My kids would watch videos that had been recorded from actual classrooms. It was interesting, but still not like being online.

The video refers to this generations as "natives" to technology. They have been surrounded with computers, cell phones, ipads, and etc. Twenty years ago, technology was all beginning to explode. Most people did not have a cell phone or a computer. The video says it is time to rethink teaching. What was common twenty years ago is not so today. Technology has brought some wonderful improvements to society. Who would have though we could communicate to people around the world. When I was in school, we had to use encyclopedias. The video said only 2 percent admit to using a book to write a report and 100 percent used wikepedia, when wikipedia is as accurate as the Britannica Enclylopedia.  I would have loved to had wikipedia or google. In college, we were not allowed to use wikipedia. Of course, wikipedia was the first place I looked and used it to find other sources.

As a teacher, I want to take advantage of what students use on a daily basis. Why make them suffer through an expensive text book that is never opened. I know if I assign an online assignment there is a greater chance they will look at it. Text books are overpriced and wasting precious tax payer money. Teachers who were not raised native to this technology world are not quite sure about what to do with it. I say take advantage of it. Confucious quoted, "Tell me I'll forget, Show me I'll remember, Involve me I will understand. Why not involve them in blogs, social boards, wikis, twitter etc. We need to think and teach different.

1 comment:

  1. I really loved reading your post on technology! I agree teachers should start using the internet more and more. It's sad some teachers are so behind in technology, they should have to take a class to be up-to-date on current things going on in teaching education. I think it's awesome that you put that specific quote in your post. It truly fits with what you are trying to say! Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete