Sunday, March 3, 2013

Blog Post #7




Randy Pausch was an inspiration to many. He told his life story and his childhood dreams. He told us that brick walls in our lifes are there for a reason to show us how bad we want something. This really hit home for me. I've wanted to go to college for twenty years and finally accomplishing that goal. I feel like I'm conquering my brick wall. If you want something bad enough, you will never give up. Amazing, what Randy Pausch has accomplished in his life. I would love to instill this mind set in my students someday. Just because you get side tracked along the way, don't give up. Never quit trying to achieve and always strive to do better. He told about a project he assigned his students and they all did so good he was amazed. He didn't know what to say and a mentor told him to tell the students to try harder. The mentor knew if he set a bar the students would stop when they had met the bar. I have found this to be true. If we know we have to achieve a certain level, when we meet the goal we stop. As a teacher, I would like to use this approach in the classroom.

His approach to make students think it is fun and they will never feel like they are working. He used a nontraditional teaching environment. His students didn't learn from textbooks, but from experiencing first hand. I would like to be able to teach like this to my students. I have found these methods to be a wonderful way to learn. Sitting in a desk and listening to a teacher lecture is not learning, but just memorizing and regurgitating. His classroom learned to work in groups. This is how the real world works. Collaboration is something all of us have to learn how to do. Teachers especially need to learn these skills.

Teaching students to be honest and willing to admit their mistakes. I think this is something very important to teach students. I agree with Dr. Pausch, this will bring them good karma. He has spent his time inspiring others and as an educator I hope I can do the same.

3 comments:

  1. This is Blog Assignment #7. Please correct your title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kimberly!
    I really enjoyed reading the things you said about Randy Pausch. I agree, we definitely need to push our students to strive harder and go further than they think they possibly can. I mean their possibilities are limitless. And I also think students learn more and remember more when they are actually physically doing something rather than just sitting and listening to the teacher lecture. A classroom should be fun and exciting because that's what makes students want to learn more. Keep up the good work. Good Luck in EDM310!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The reason we include this video is to inspire you to bust through those brick walls, to raise the bars, to execute effective head fakes and much more. I hope you will do these things when you are a teacher.

    Keep on learning!

    ReplyDelete